Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
05-19-2015, 05:37 AM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
Here is what Art Loux says in John Wilkes Booth: Day by Day:

"In an unconfirmed account Louise C. Wooster, a young lady then living in Montgomery, claimed she had a relationship with Booth during his stay in that city. She wrote:

“I was madly in love with J. Wilkes Booth. My love for him seemed to be reciprocated. He was my idol . . . He had advised me to adopt the stage as a profession, to enter upon a theatrical career. Then we would always be together. , , , He [Booth] came in hurriedly one evening and said: `I must go home tonight or I can not get away at all. I will let you hear from me soon, and you shall come to me. This thing [the national crisis] can not last longer than a few weeks or a few months at the longest. Such a glorious country as ours can not be broken up by a few fanatics."

On the same page right before the mention of Louise Wooster, Art wrote:

"Booth reportedly expressed Union sentiments while in Montgomery. John Ellsler, a theatrical manager and later a business partner of Booth, wrote: “Wilkes was leading man in the stock company at Montgomery and his sympathy for, and utterances on behalf of the Union were so unguarded in their expression that his life was in jeopardy, and it became necessary for the manager of the theatre to resort to strategy and spirit Wilkes Booth out of the city to save his life. This I had from the lips of the manager [Matthew Canning] himself."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - RJNorton - 05-19-2015 05:37 AM