Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 01:18 PM by Jenny.)
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
(08-14-2013 01:06 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  According to the fine people at Congressional Cemetery (where Mary Ann rests), her house is where the Museum of the American Indian is located.

Jenny, you really have done spectacular work.

Thank you, Jim. Smile My map doesn't have the Museum of the American Indian on it obviously but it looks like she's somewhere between the Smithsonian and the Capitol if that's where it's located.

It's very interesting to see all of these bawdy houses so close to such important buildings! The Those of Little Note book is fabulous; in the 1860s the brothels were often boarding houses for working class women too. They just shared the buildings with the prostitutes and the madams (who were often land ladies).

I think things started to get wilder and more "Storyville-like" after the Civil War but I was surprised to find that when Ella Starr would have lived there, the area would have been a semi-working class hub with a lot of working class people living among the bawdy houses.

EDIT: Just so Gene knows the way (kidding, kidding), here's Mary Hall's house! Big Grin
[Image: 2dhfv60.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Jenny - 08-14-2013 01:12 PM