Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
(01-14-2013 06:07 PM)Jenny Wrote:  Rsmyth, thank you for reminding me! I've heard of two versions of the note. One has the words "my darling baby" and is signed "E.T." The other version has the words "my darling boy" instead and is signed "E.S." I wonder which version it really was! Probably the version that was written about first, and I am not sure which one that is! I will look into that!

Herb,
Henrietta is an interesting character! That lady even looks like she was a spitfire! The story I am most familiar with regarding her is the infamous knife incident in Albany when she attacked Wilkes and then attempted suicide in 1861. What else have you found on her during the time she was in her relationship with Booth? I'm very curious and would love to help you out in researching her if you've hit some roadblocks!

John,
I was unaware of that. I'll edit the original post to exclude Sarah. Smile

The "My Darling Boy" letter was/is in the National Archives. I wanted to see the original, but at this time, they can only produce a digital copy of a photo copy. I hope it is just mis-filed and has not grown legs. When reading the letter in the context of a jilted lover, it is a heart wrenching letter. John Wilkes Booth was the best possible chance Ella had to get out of her life as a prostitute and I believe she was (like every other women to cross JWB's path) totally infutuated and in love with him. Then to ad insult to injury, she is questioned about her lover assassinating the President. No wonder she tried to kill herself. Her world was destroyed. Just one more wrecked life in the wake of the Assassination.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Jim Garrett - 05-24-2013 07:55 PM