Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
01-16-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 03:22 PM by Jenny.)
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
Great "Ella and Mollie" sightings, Art! Thank you for sharing! "Slavish admiration" is probably correct in regards to Ella.

Oh, that reminds me. On The Historical Society of Washington D.C.'s website in the Kiplinger Research Library online references, I did find a possible photo of the bawdy house as it was in the 1920's. The photo is from the Joseph E. Bishop Photograph Collection. The house's address was changed to 1353 Ohio Avenue after the war, and the photograph in question was taken as a "General view north down 13 1/2 Street NW from Ohio Avenue" and shows the 1300 block of Ohio Ave. We know the house was a corner house due to newspaper reports from 1865 but I've heard there has been confusion on whether the house was on 13 threet or 13 1/2 street.

Here is the link to the info on the HS site:
http://www.historydc.org/library/searchc...5&ID=47314

Not knowing if this was even the right street, I ordered the cheapest copy of the picture the library offered... and it came out looking like a sketch drawing. Serves me right for being a cheap skate. Tongue I might order a better version if you guys look at the link and think it's a possibility that this could be the right street. The picture is terrible and I didn't buy "posting rights" to it so I don't feel right posting it here... but I would go back and buy the rights to do so if people are interested. Wink

I have a book called "Those of Little Note" in which there is a map of the bawdy houses... I will look into that again to make sure I'm on the right track re: the street.

Thanks for posting, Laurie! I'd forgotten all about that! Oops! The 13th street picture possibility might be out after all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Jenny - 01-16-2013 03:20 PM