Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
Jenny (and Laurie), Thanks for the great summary. I look forward to the rest of the story. Here is and additional sighting of Ella and Mollie.
In the NY Sunday Telegraph, May 23, 1909 quoted in JWB by Francis Wilson, p. 84, John Deery, a billiard champion, stated he kept a billiard saloon in front of Grover’s Theatre in Washington. He claimed he had known Booth since they were youths. Deery said, “At this time [April 65] he [Booth] and I boarded together in the same house at 13th and I Streets, and while I was paying court to our young landlady, Wilkes Booth had won her rather cold younger sister to a state of slavish admiration.” Booth always roomed and boarded at the National Hotel when in Washington, so Deery was wrong about rooming with Booth. The address Deery gave, 13th and I, is interesting. Ella Starr lived and worked at her sister’s house at 13th and Ohio. Perhaps the passage of years dimmed Deery’s memory and “Ohio” became “I.” Another news clip, “New Lincoln Figure Also in Almshouse,” undated, but after 1914, provides more information from Deery. Deery said he and Booth were attentive to two sisters in Washington. “Deery said that the name of the woman to whom he had laid court was Mollie Turner, but he did not recall that of her sister.”
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Art Loux - 01-16-2013 02:32 PM