Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
01-16-2013, 06:22 AM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
(01-15-2013 10:13 PM)Jenny Wrote:  I think he might have been using Lucy Hale in some ways due to her father's political status but I would like to think he did care for her also. Wishful thinking perhaps. Wink
How serious was this "secret engagement" with Lucy? I wonder. Because of the letters and notes JWB wrote to other females besides Lucy, I think I agree with you, Jenny.

In 1862 Booth wrote this note to Lucy:

My dear Miss Hale, were it not for the License with a time-honored observance of this day allows, I had not written you this poor note. ... You resemble in a most remarkable degree a lady, very dear to me, now dead and your close resemblance to her surprised me the first time I saw you. This must be my apology for any apparent rudeness noticeable. To see you has indeed afforded me a melancholy pleasure, if you can conceive of such, and should we never meet nor I see you again believe me, I shall always associate you in my memory, with her, who was very beautiful, and whose face, like your own I trust, was a faithful index of gentleness and amiability. With a Thousand kind wishes for your future happiness I am, to you,

A Stranger

On July 14, 1864, in a note to Isabel Sumner, Booth writes:

Dearest Isabel, I can not write to you. I want to talk to you. I have just traveled over 600 miles. It is now 2 1/2 am. I am tired and sick. Let that be an excuse for this miserably written letter. But the style or manner of my letters be what it may. I LOVE YOU, and I feel that in the fountain of my heart a seal is set to keep its waters pure and bright for thee alone. God Bless you. You see (to follow your wishes NOT MY OWN) I call myself your FRIEND only. good night. JWB.

How many other letters did Booth write to women which were destroyed after the assassination and we do not know about? I am guessing there were plenty. The note Jenny posted that Ella wrote certainly implies she was a very important person in Booth's life, too.

Certainly Booth had feelings for Ella, too.

The Hales were opposed to their daughter marrying JWB. I think they favored her marriage to Robert Lincoln. I think Booth once became enraged as he watched Lucy dance with Robert. I have not seen the proof, but there is an unsubstantiated rumor that Lucy spent the afternoon of the assassination with Robert. Nevertheless, I believe in subsequent years, Robert denied a serious relationship existed with Lucy. I know he gave her a book when he was in college.

I just have trouble with Booth really being serious about marrying Lucy. Given his past lifestyle, I have trouble picturing him as a settled, married man. How long would such a marriage last?

Was he using Lucy as Jenny suggests? Personally, I think Jenny has a good point. I am not saying Booth didn't have feelings for all these women; my question is would he really settle down with just one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - RJNorton - 01-16-2013 06:22 AM