Primary source versus recycled information
01-12-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 06:46 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Primary source versus recycled information
I always try and use primary source material when I can. Not only is it the grist of research, but it's the "skeleton" upon which the entire book is based and made. Primary source material should be utilized first. In Alias, as well in my upcoming Character Assassination, I make use of primary material first and as much as I can. Sure, I quote other references from books; i.e. Maxwell's When Lincoln Lay Dying for example, but then Maxwell's book is ALSO based on primary source material. I also resorted to the research work of others when it seems applicable; i.e. Steers, Kauffman, Lattimer, Oldroyd, Hall,Tidwell and Gaddy, etc., with proper credit of course. Trial transcripts are also primary source material, although they were in published format. Letters, documents in the National Archives, newspaper accounts (again, primary source material) are also utilized extensively. I also interviewed Powell's family for further documentation.

To me, the first thing I turn to in any historic work are the footnotes - I view them as a book within a book and many a time have found them useful for other sources as well!

Grand post, Christine!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Primary source versus recycled information - BettyO - 01-12-2013 06:36 PM