What Was The Role of David Herold
09-17-2013, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 02:07 PM by John Fazio.)
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(04-19-2013 04:29 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 03:35 PM)wsanto Wrote:   I asked the sergeant if I could cross the bridge after them. He said, “Yes, you can cross the bridge; but you cannot return back.” I said, ‘If that is so, I will not go.” So I turned around, and came back to the city again....

Again this was Fletcher's recollection and you can take it for what it's worth. I don't believe Cobb ever said 'yes'. It's inconsistent with the rest of the statement that 'you can't return back'. Why not?
Cobb would have been definitely court-marshaled if he had taken a bribe or let his commander & chief's escape because he wasn't following orders. Stanton was not the type of guy to forgive and forget.

(04-19-2013 03:54 PM)KateH. Wrote:  When was Cobb first shown Herold's picture?

To the best of my knowledge he never was shown a picture. He was asked to identify Herold in the courtroom.

Jerry:

I recently requested and was sent material re Cobb and the bridge crossing from Georgetown University's Library (the Swaim Collection). I consider this material quite valuable because it throws a somewhat different perspective on the event. If you, or anyone else, would like to receive a copy, please let me know.

On another matter, your book contins a reference, on p. 112, to condolences sent to Lincoln by Davis upon the death of Willie in 1862. Query: Is there a source for this? If so, please refer me to the same. Further, is there any evidence that you, or anyone else, are aware of attesting to Lincoln's sending condolences to Davis when Davis lost his young son a year or two later, falling from a tree or porch, as I recall, or something like that. Any light that can be shed on this matter by anyone will be greatly appreciated.

John

(04-19-2013 04:29 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 03:35 PM)wsanto Wrote:   I asked the sergeant if I could cross the bridge after them. He said, “Yes, you can cross the bridge; but you cannot return back.” I said, ‘If that is so, I will not go.” So I turned around, and came back to the city again....

Again this was Fletcher's recollection and you can take it for what it's worth. I don't believe Cobb ever said 'yes'. It's inconsistent with the rest of the statement that 'you can't return back'. Why not?
Cobb would have been definitely court-marshaled if he had taken a bribe or let his commander & chief's escape because he wasn't following orders. Stanton was not the type of guy to forgive and forget.

(04-19-2013 03:54 PM)KateH. Wrote:  When was Cobb first shown Herold's picture?

To the best of my knowledge he never was shown a picture. He was asked to identify Herold in the courtroom.

Jerry:

I recently requested and was sent material re Cobb and the bridge crossing from Georgetown University's Library (the Swaim Collection). I consider this material quite valuable because it throws a somewhat different perspective on the event. If you, or anyone else, would like to receive a copy, please let me know.

On another matter, your book contins a reference, on p. 112, to condolences sent to Lincoln by Davis upon the death of Willie in 1862. Query: Is there a source for this? If so, please refer me to the same. Further, is there any evidence that you, or anyone else, are aware of attesting to Lincoln's sending condolences to Davis when Davis lost his young son a year or two later, falling from a tree or porch, as I recall, or something like that. Any light that can be shed on this matter by anyone will be greatly appreciated.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 09-17-2013 02:05 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM