What Was The Role of David Herold
03-07-2013, 06:11 AM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
Based on what he writes in his book I assume Shelton thought William Seward (or possibly Stanton) was the "mystery Cabinet member" who was guilty of treason. How would evidence of that sort end up in the Lincoln Papers? Why would Robert Lincoln tell just one person about it...Horace G. Young (a golfing partner of Robert's)? If this were really such a great story why didn't it surface before 1937?

Jason Emerson writes, "Perhaps the greatest myth concerning the Abraham Lincoln papers - and certainly the most enduring - is that Robert Lincoln, before giving them up, purposely burned countless of his father's manuscripts in order to purge and purify the family legacy."

Like Laurie, I am very skeptical of those other sources. Regarding Emanuel Hertz, Paul Angle wrote that the Hertz collection was indiscriminate, undocumented, and full of fraudulent material. It was "worse than useless." Dr. Mark Neely writes that the entire story is the "purest bunk." John, as you know, I am fascinated with your work and enjoy it immensely. I thank you for all the work you do. But, regarding this story about Robert Lincoln, I am unconvinced.

I mentioned this once before...IMO, I find this whole story highly suspect as it first became public at just about the same time Eisenschiml's book was published.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - RJNorton - 03-07-2013 06:11 AM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM