What Was The Role of David Herold
02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(02-05-2013 11:11 AM)John Fazio Wrote:  Jerry:

A very good question, and one I have often asked myself in connection with other assertions by various authors. I don't know. I suppose one would be hard pressed to find a contemporaneous record wherein someone made reference to the fact that Cobb, or other sentries, were passing people after 9:00 with little or no regard for legalities. But there may be such.

As for the "severe reprimand", Joan Chaconas is, first of all, a first rate scholar, and, secondly, she worked closely with Bill Hall on the article, the Dean of assassination historians. Steers, Roscoe and Oldroyd are not slouches either.I would have to say that she and they, therefore, represent at least a prima-facie case on the issue, subject to compelling rebuttal evidence, which I find nowhere. Much as I enjoyed your book, and read, and continue to re-read portions of it, assiduously, I do not believe there is evidence that Booth and Herold had passes. I believe what evidence there is points in the opposite direction. Lincoln did not issue a pass on the evening of the assassination; he issued a note saying passes were not necessary. He did issue a pass the previous day, but that was probably his way of assuring passage with no possibility of impediment.

Thank you for staying with me on this. Your input is very valuable to my writing.

John,
I am not trying to convince you that I'm correct. I've laid out my case in my book and the readers can believe it or not. I can do no more.

As I 've said before, speculation is necessary on this issue, it's just a question of which is closer to the truth. So many respected scholars have gone down the negligence path that they've ended up quoting each other and obsured the original evidence to back their claim.

I'm sure you'll put together the best scenario that fits the evidence you've uncovered. Good Luck and keep me informed on the pub date. I've learned other things since I published my book so if I can help in any way just let me know.

jerry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - JMadonna - 02-05-2013 02:24 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM