What Was The Role of David Herold
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(02-02-2013 09:44 AM)DanielC Wrote:  Great job John, I really enjoyed your article. I'm of the opinion that Herold was more of a point person on the night of the assasination. Where he was.? I don't know. One thing stood out to me though. Lloyd's testomony that Booth had told him "I am pretty certain that we have assasinated the President, and Secretary Seward". Does he make this statement based on whom he assigned to murder Seward? Was Herold there and reported what he had "heard", or did Herold hear the news skedaddling out of town?

Best,

Dan

Dan:

Thank you for your input and for your compliment.

My belief is that Booth could make that statement because he knew to a certainty that Johnson was not assassinated. He received that information from Herold. Herold could have come to that firm conclusion only if he had had some hand in the attempt, even if it were only to go to the Kirkwood and be told by Atzerodt (whom we know was there, at the relevant time, per Fletcher) that it was a no-go, conditions being unfavorable, and let's blow this joint.

There is no indication that Booth had post-assassination contact with Atzerodt or Powell, so his only source of information was Herold. How could Herold have found out that Johnson was untouched if he was with Powell and then went directly from Seward's home to the bridge?
Conclusion: He wasn't with Powell; he was at the Kirkwood, after he fulfilled whatever role he played in or around Ford's Theatre.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - John Fazio - 02-02-2013 05:55 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM