What Was The Role of David Herold
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
John,
I've read a number of articles by you and needless to say I'm a big fan.

On your reply to Roger you said:
"More importantly, Johnson was such a heavy drinker, and most probably had a few that night before retiring, that I doubt that he would have been in a condition to accomodate company, physically or emotionally. Alcohol has diminishing returns where matters amorous are concerned. At 57 he was probably slowing down anyway even if he were sober. (That should kick up some dust.) Third, I doubt that he would risk scandal. He was already under a heavy cloud because of the spectacle he made of himself on Inauguration Day. Lastly, it was about 10:30, past a good hour for a 57-year old to retire, alone."

If Johnson was a smart politician (which he was not) he would have avoided alcohol at all costs because of the inauguration spectacle, obviously he didn't. Secondly, who really cares who the VP sleeps with? It was well known that madams regularly went in and out of the WH when he became President so he really didn't care about discretion. Thirdly, Johnson was a well known night owl. It was more unusual for him to retire before midnight especially since all of Washington was celebrating the end of the war on that particular night.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - JMadonna - 02-01-2013 02:01 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM