What Was The Role of David Herold
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold
(01-02-2013 03:37 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  
Ms. Anderson:

Thank you for this valuable information, which had not previously come to my attention. In my opinion, the first sentence is especially significant. If it doesn't prove Herold did not accompany Powell, it is at least strongly probative of that conclusion.

John C. Fazio

You are very welcome and please call me Linda.

George Robinson gave an interview which was published on July 31, 1897 in the Norfolk Virginian (Pomona, Cal., Dispatch in Boston Advertiser), Chronicling America.

"The evening of the 14th was beautiful and clear. At a little before 10 p.m., when the Secretary was sleeping easily, the house was closed for the night. Mrs. Seward had gone to her sleeping room. Frederick Seward, second son of the Secretary, had retired. Miss Fannie Seward, a daughter, and I sat in the sick chamber on the third floor. Miss Seward was near the bed. Her father lay propped up in bed. Just before ten o'clock, the sound of a man was heard down in the hall. It was afterwards learned that the porter saw a tall young man on horseback dash up to the stone curbing."

Is the porter that Robinson is referring to William H. Bell? John Elliott and Barry Cauchon wrote an article titled "George Foster Robinson" that was published in the October 2010 Surratt Courier. The article includes "Private Robinson's most detailed account of his battle with Powell [which] is housed at the Pearce Museum at Navarro College in Corsincana, TX." This account is dated 1879. Robinson does not mention the porter seeing the tall young man ride up to the Sewards' front door but he constantly refers to William H. Bell as the "porter."

So did Bell see Powell ride up to the front door? He didn't testify that he did but no one asked him that directly either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Linda Anderson - 01-02-2013 07:08 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Hess1865 - 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: What Was The Role of David Herold - Art Loux - 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM