Lincoln on Leadership - book
12-12-2012, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 02:10 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Lincoln on Leadership - book
Oh boy can I answer this one....

I work for a micromanaging tyrant. In 12 years I've seen 15 people leave -- all because of this one man. Nothing is done and employees have no voice. Nowadays It's not what you know but WHO you know.... When a receptionist with a high school degree makes more than an Engineering Tech with a Masters Degree, there is definitely something wrong with the system.... Leadership? Most of the folk I work with couldn't lead their way out of a wet paper bag....

What's missing are TRUE leaders who care about their staff. Today, unfortunately the word "Team" is just a by word.What is needed are leaders with a human touch. I've had several WONDERFUL supervisors in the past; true leaders ( one an Egyptian gentleman and a true born leader, whose father was a General in the Egyptian army), but for the most part, the majority of the supervisors I ve had in my current job (and Ive had 8 in the last 12 years!) have been absolutely horrid, with no leadership qualities whatsoever, much less "people skills!" What is needed to lead are basic human skills. To me, a good leader puts his people first and empowers them. He doesn't knock them down or attempt to keep them down. Empowerment is true freedom - freedom of choice to work and think on one's own. I think Lincoln knew this -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln on Leadership - book - Gene C - 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
RE: Lincoln on Leadership - book - BettyO - 12-12-2012 06:55 AM
RE: Lincoln on Leadership - book - Gene C - 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
RE: Lincoln on Leadership - book - Gene C - 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM