Herold's fate/legacy
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy
Well, Herold's legacy at least is not a pretty one. In historic fiction and in scholarly work he gets the same old bad rep from "idiot boy" to nothing short of mentally retarded. That is why I am writing his biography to finally set the record straight! In my opinion anyway...

While most people condemn them all for what they did, or didn't do in most cases, I think Davey's loyalty, although horribly misplaced, is an admirable trait. I always tell people on tour that we were all in our 20's once and did something, sometimes incredibly, stupid. Yes, he could have abandoned him, but I don't think he'd really know what to do w/o Booth.

He didn't really care about the Confederacy, not like Powell, Sam, and Mike as Betty has stated. In a lot of the testimony and reports he was considered Southern in his opinions but as one report stated, and I'm paraphrasing, he wasn't willing to shed a drop of blood for her. Can you blame him? I'm not sure he had much of a personal stake in it, as he obviously didn't feel strongly enough to enlist, and as far as I can tell they didn't really own slaves. Also, even though DC was pretty southern, it wasn't under attack like Powell's Florida. Most Confederates if nothing else wanted those dang Yanks out of their beloved homeland and that just wasn't the case for Davey.

“Within this enclosed area a structure to be inhabited by neither the living or the dead was fast approaching completion.”
~New York World 7/8/1865
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Herold's fate/legacy - jonathan - 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - BettyO - 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - Lindsey - 07-11-2012 11:03 AM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - jonathan - 07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - RJNorton - 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - BettyO - 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: Herold's fate/legacy - Lindsey - 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM