I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C.
07-06-2023, 08:36 AM
RE: I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C.
(07-06-2023 03:21 AM)Steve Wrote:  - Pvt Samuel Taylor G co. 3rd NJ: full pardon granted by President Lincoln; returned to his unit and later mustered out with them

- Pvt Ira Smith I co. 11th NJ: returned to his unit by 12 May 1864; I can't find a record of a pardon for him like I could for Taylor and Gill, but that's the most likely scenario. He remained with his unit and was mustered out with them after the war

- Pvt John Keatley I co. 2nd Delaware: desertion conviction overturned by Division commander as unjust and was returned to his unit before Lincoln could review the case. He survived the war and later received a pension

President Lincoln seemed to be much more concerned about justice to Union soldiers than did most of the military commanders.

This morning, I scrolled through the unabridged text of Chapter 35 of Abraham Lincoln: A Life on the Knox College website but did not find any reference to this subject matter. There was a lot going on in this time period.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I could freely give my life to save his. Virginia C. - David Lockmiller - 07-06-2023 08:36 AM