Gravesite inspiration welcome
07-26-2022, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2022 10:13 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome
Thank you, Roger, Gene and Susan for your wonderful replies and shared thoughts!
Roger - thank you for posting that photo - I feel the same, but despite I just found this one of the most peaceful, idyllic spots I have seen in the world. Lewis was so to speak lucky at least as to his resting place.

(07-26-2022 12:23 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Part of the interest in visiting grave sites for me is to pay my respects to people who were a part of history and contributed to making this a great country to live in.
Growing up in a small town in New Hampshire I can remember taking a family walk in the woods and coming across an old neglected cemetery with headstones dating back to the 1800's and even 1700's. We would call out the inscriptions on the headstones to each other, trying to find the oldest and most interesting ones. Fascinating and spooky at the same time. These were people who had lived not far from my home. Some who's homes were still standing and being lived in, the school bus passed by their homes everyday. History was all around us (or seemed to be) The church we had attended was a previous 200 year old, two story, brick schoolhouse.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/867+La...70.8705471

Thanks Eva, I haven't thought about this in a long time.

That are fascinating memories, Gene, and you added a good point and reason, thank you for sharing!

(07-26-2022 12:31 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  I've loved going to cemeteries and gravesites since I was in my teens. As relates to this site, I've seen Lincoln's tomb, Robert Lincoln's grave at Arlington Cemetery, the Todd family graves in Lexington, KY, the Surratt family graves in D.C. and John Jr.'s grave in Baltimore, and those of the Booth family in Baltimore. I was in Springfield, IL, without a car and arrived at the cemetery near closing time, so I didn't have nearly enough time to explore it as I wanted to. I'd like to go back and spend more time at the Lincoln tomb and see the graves of others in Springfield connected with the Lincolns.

On my bucket list are those of John Brown's widow and children in California and that of the feminist Ernestine Rose in Highgate Cemetery in London. They are people I've researched and aside from my love for cemeteries, I like to visit places associated with people I research, including their final resting places.
That is cool, Susan - I have only seen Robert's grave in Arlington (and the Kennedys' subsequently). In Europe, I would like to visit Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris as so many VIPs RIP there, among others Judah Benjamin. Another site in EU is in Bonn, Germany, where Princess Salm-Salm rests. One Lincoln-saga-related gravesite I have visited here is this (and I think this is about it in EU):
http://deadconjurers.blogspot.com/2011/0...e.html?m=1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Gene C - 07-26-2022, 12:23 PM
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Eva Elisabeth - 07-26-2022 09:52 PM
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Rogerm - 07-28-2022, 09:07 AM
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Steve - 08-20-2022, 04:46 AM
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Dave B - 08-20-2022, 12:47 PM
RE: Gravesite inspiration welcome - Dave B - 08-20-2022, 10:32 PM