Lincoln Broke Our Constitution
11-02-2021, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 05:51 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: Lincoln Broke Our Constitution
With all due respect, and because I believe that Lincoln 'belongs to the Ages' not just to the US but to the world and posterity ....

Nothing he said or promised has any relevance to a judicial assessment of the US Constitution. His opinion is/was no more valid than Joe Blow living in Main St Poughkeepsie.

Obviously I am no expert (yes, that's a great get-out clause) but the US Constitution makes no mention of slavery. But there is a clear indication that importation of such persons was to be prohibited at a specific time ... if thats not a clear indication to Constitutional interpreters that slavery was regarded as distasteful/immoral and (OK, I'm drawing the bow a bit wider) should not exist ... I dont know what is.

The issue of Habeas Corpus has been addressed again and again. To my mind there was a rebellion going on and public safety required its suspension (which only occurred after consultation and discussion) and ( I think ) various learned persons consider it justified.

All the above is "In my opinion" and for what its worth ... obviously.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Broke Our Constitution - AussieMick - 11-02-2021 05:47 PM