Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021
04-20-2021, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2021 05:58 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021
(04-20-2021 05:23 PM)wpbinzel Wrote:  Historic speculation on my part, but the noteworthy event in the immediate aftermath of the morning April 15, 1865, was the death of President Lincoln -- and not what was said at his bedside or by whom. That came later. Until Hay and Nicolay were published in 1890 in The Century Magazine, no one made mention of what was OR WAS NOT said upon Lincoln's death. The fact that three eye witnesses -- Hay, Leale, and Tanner (who, as Scott pointed out, must be considered as primary sources) all were in agreement (or at very least did not dispute) -- Hay's recollection, puts me firmly in the camp that Stanton likely said something and that something was "ages." In short, I agree with Scott's well researched, well documented, and well presented conclusion that Stanton spoke and said "ages." While there is no mention on the part of other witnesses of Stanton saying anything or what he said, silence on that point does not rise to level of evidence contradicting that there was a comment or what was said. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I believe that Stanton spoke and used the word "ages."

Hmmm....Bill, you will want to read my article.

You bring up some very important points in your post. There is even some wording you use that is coincidently very similar to something I have written in my article. That being said, there are some things above I certainly agree with and some things that I might dispute. I couldn't give EVERYTHING away in my talk! Big Grin

For the time being I will leave you, and everyone else, in suspense!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021 - STS Lincolnite - 04-20-2021 05:51 PM