Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021
04-19-2021, 11:05 AM
RE: Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021
Thank you, Rob. It's amazing how different reminiscences of the death scene were. In 1909 Dr. Leale described it as follows:

"The protracted struggle ceased at twenty minutes past seven o'clock on the morning of April 15, 1865, and I announced that the President was dead.

Immediately after death the few remaining in the room knelt around the bed while the Rev. Dr. Gurley delivered one of the most impressive prayers ever uttered, that our Heavenly Father look down in pity upon the bereaved family and preserve our afflicted and sorrow-stricken country.

Then I gently smoothed the President's contracted facial muscles, took two coins from my pocket, placed them over his eyelids and drew a white sheet over the martyr's face. I had been the means, in God's hand, of prolonging the life of President Abraham Lincoln for nine hours.

Every necessary act of love, devotion, skill and loyalty had been rendered during his helpless hours to the President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, to the beloved of millions of people throughout the world.

Many reported, anxious in any way to be of service. I accepted their offers to the extent of abundantly filling every want. Of all the people I have met in different parts of the world, I have found that as a class, good Americans are not to be excelled when occasions demand, in strength, endurance, calmness, good judgment, ardent loyal devotion and self-sacrificing love."

No mention at all of Stanton sobbing or saying anything. No mention at all of Tanner. The same goes for Welles' diary. No mention whatsoever of Stanton's quote.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Surratt Society Meeting and "Conference" 2021 - RJNorton - 04-19-2021 11:05 AM