Jan Morris has died today.
11-21-2020, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2020 10:31 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Jan Morris has died today.
(11-20-2020 09:47 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  The most unusual book I ever read on Lincoln was “Lincoln:A Foreigner's Quest” by Jan Morris. This was nearly 20 years ago if I recall correctly. She compared Lincoln to grape jelly. She never claimed to be a scholar but her book was very likable.

"She compared Lincoln to grape jelly."

All that I can say to that is: "Spread yourself, Mr. President Abraham Lincoln!"

(11-21-2020 08:43 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Here is the Amazon site.
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Foreigner...oks&sr=1-1

The "Look Inside" section has sample pages of the first chapter with some "grape jelly" comments.

A unique and stimulating combination of travel journal, fully researched biography, and insightful history, from a respected travel writer, features an exploration of the many facets of the Lincoln legend including the myths, the man's wit, and his many tragedies.

Sounds like a very good book to read. I like especially the fact that she is described as "a respected travel writer."

On the first page of the book review, it reads: "Brash and skeptical when she first came to the United States in the 1950's, Jan Morris cast a dubious eye on the saintly image of Abraham Lincoln and the log-cabin-to-White-House legend that surrounded him. . . -- her first book on America since the acclaimed Manhattan '45."

It will be interesting to read how she came to overcome her skepticism.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Jan Morris has died today. - LincolnMan - 11-20-2020, 09:47 PM
RE: Jan Morris has died today. - Gene C - 11-21-2020, 08:43 AM
RE: Jan Morris has died today. - David Lockmiller - 11-21-2020 09:59 AM