In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
02-08-2021, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2021 01:07 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
(02-08-2021 06:05 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  From Isaac Chotiner's article in the New Yorker entitled "How San Francisco Renamed Its Schools."

"One member of the committee said, about talking to historians, “What would be the point? History is written and documented pretty well across the board. And so we don’t need to belabor history in that regard. We’re not debating that. There’s no point in debating history in that regard. Either it happened or it didn’t.” What do you think of that?"

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/h...ts-schools

Thank you to Bob Cook for sending this link.

Isaac Chotiner: I think a lot of the commentary about the school names is focused specifically on Lincoln. It seems to be the thing that a lot of people are the most upset about. Do you have any thoughts about Lincoln and how we should view him?

Response by the President of the San Francisco Board of Education: I think that the killing of indigenous peoples and that record is something that is not acknowledged. It’s something that people are now learning about, and due to this process. And so we just have to do the work of that extra learning when we’re having these discussions.

Apparently, she did not read the email that I sent to each and every member of the School Board containing the new work on the "Dakota 38" by Professor Michael Burlingame on the morning BEFORE the 6-1 vote to rename Abraham Lincoln High School for just cause. [See my post #70 on thread titled "RE: Abraham Lincoln statues."]

And, there is no apparent way to forward that email to Isaac Chotiner for him to directly ask the question of the San Francisco School Board President. I cannot imagine what would be her response.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 02-08-2021 12:28 PM