In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
12-19-2020, 05:26 PM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
Well, let's see. On November 9, 2020 in post #9 on this very thread I wrote

Quote:While I personally oppose what's going on here, does anyone really believe that one school district, or one college, taking such action would somehow change American or the world's view of Lincoln?

On December 16, 2020 in post #44 I wrote

Quote: If the local community doesn't want to hear about the numerous lives that Lincoln saved in the Dakota tribe, that is their right regardless of how historically illiterate it may be. You can't stop someone intent on being a fool from themselves.

Further in that post I wrote

Quote:I don't think what you're doing is saving the character and reputation of Lincoln from dishonor. I think what you're doing is saying that the majority of American citizens can't see unbridled nonsense for what it really is, and that Lincoln has to be protected because his reputation is that tenuous.

While we're doing this, as to your other hobbyhorse, the 1619 Project, in your thread "Abraham Lincoln Statues" on October 14, 2020 in post #25 I wrote

Quote: A lie requires agency on behalf of the liar, and while you may disagree with what the Times reported (and to be honest, I have issues with it myself), you cannot prove that the paper set out to be purposefully dishonest.

On October 17 in post #30 I wrote

Quote:I don't know if you forgot or ignored the fact that I said I have issues with the 1619 Project, but mine has to do with the lack of other voices in Nikole Hannah-Jones' writings. Again, your rejection seems based in your attempts to cleanse Lincoln for the modern reader, which I don't think he needs.

On October 18, 2020, post #34 I wrote

Quote:As to your request, I also have never said I had an objection to their criticism of the 1619 Project. My whole objection to any of this is that it is a tempest in a teapot.

On Lincoln and the Dakota Indians in the same thread on October 16, 2020, post #27 I wrote

Quote:Finally, as to whether or not the execution of the 38 Native Americans represented Lincoln's humanity or something else, I would say that the 38 executed, and their families, would beg to differ. While we can make our peace with what Lincoln did, or didn't do, that someone else can see it differently is the lifeblood of historical debate. I feel our biggest difference is that you see Lincoln as the great, good man, and I see Lincoln as simply a man, good in some instances and, like all men, less great in others. I welcome those who see Lincoln as less than heroic. It makes him much more human.

In a much earlier post that you started in 2013, on August 16, 2013 in post #19 I wrote

Quote:As for those "savages" it seems obvious that Lincoln must have thought something was wrong with the verdicts or he wouldn't have taken the political risk of commuting the sentences of so many.

So I think over the years I've done more than enough to show what I believe and why. That I can appreciate the nuance in things is something that a potential candidate for any office might try to acquire.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - Rob Wick - 12-19-2020 05:26 PM