In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
11-17-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
(11-16-2020 03:55 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  The San Francisco Unified School District began working in earnest over the summer to purge the names George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln from its public high school and grammar schools; Washington and Jefferson because they owned slaves, and Lincoln because of his administration’s wars with American Indian tribes which resulted in the U.S. Army’s massacre of hundreds of Cheyenne and Arapaho people.

[So, I have made a mistake. It was not President Abraham Lincoln’s December, 1862 order to execute the “Dakota 38” that I had presumed was the basis for the San Francisco Board of Education’s action in renaming Abraham Lincoln High School.]

I learned today that I may not have made a mistake. (Good to know.)

At the very beginning of the 7/29/2020 Zoom meeting, there is a screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet titled “School Names Research – For School Names Advisory Committee.” Under the column heading “Current School Name” is listed an Abraham Lincoln High School line. In the “Why change” column of the spreadsheet, it reads on the Abraham Lincoln High School line: “Responsible for Dakota 36 + 2, largest mass hanging in US history.”

So, apparently, the School Board Renaming Committee has at least two so-called "good reasons" for renaming Abraham Lincoln High School in San Francisco.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 11-17-2020 04:02 PM