In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
11-15-2020, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2020 05:08 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
(11-14-2020 05:33 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Maybe I'm just stupid, but your point makes absolutely no sense to me. However, Lincoln's own definition of democracy was this: "“As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy."

I've already spent far more time on this discussion than it's worth. Therefore, I'm finished with this.

Best
Rob

There's an odd bit of history associated with the Lincoln quote to which you make reference:

Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. Volume 2.
Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865.

Definition of Democracy [1]
[August 1, 1858?]

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy. A. LINCOLN---

Annotation
[1] AD-IHi. The date which has been assigned to this document is apparently pure conjecture. The manuscript is associated with no speech or occasion known to the editors. It was given by Mrs. Lincoln to her friend Myra Bradwell of Chicago, who together with her husband, Judge James B. Bradwell, succeeded in having Mrs. Lincoln released from the institution in which she was confined as insane in her later years. The scrap of paper is unsigned, but a signature clipped from another document has been pasted below the definition.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 11-15-2020 04:59 PM