Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
02-20-2020, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 02:05 PM by Angela.)
RE: Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
(02-18-2020 08:06 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Our home will be having an exchange student from Germany stay with us for almost a year. We are very excited about this. I'm looking forward to, among many things, discovering what she knows about Lincoln and also sharing some of my knowledge with her. Without being boring!
Thoughts?

As a Lincoln lover AND former exchange student from Germany to the US, I think that she would probably enjoy the Lincoln/Germans connection. Especially in the beginning of such a stay, there is a mixture between extreme curiosity about the new country but also some serious homesickness. I, as well as many others, discovered that living as an expat turns you more towards your own culture that it ever did before. One becomes very aware of the their own country of origin because it is constantly pointed out to you and people ask many questions.
So, if you'd introduced her to Lincoln as the "model" American who had strong ties to the German community, that might peak her interest. Also, share with her that Willy Brandt article about his visit to Springfield and his speech about Lincoln belonging to the world and especially to the young people. I'm sure she'd appreciate that!

As for Scott's excellent comment - YES! Let her know about the newspaper! And sorry, I have done some serious research but so far not turned up a copy yet either - still on it, though!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln - Angela - 02-20-2020 02:03 PM