Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
02-19-2020, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 12:09 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
(02-19-2020 07:26 AM)Amy L. Wrote:  What is "[Lincoln's Ownership of] a German language newspaper"? As in, fully owned and managed the paper, or purchased shares in the newspaper, or something else? (And might you be able to share, when exactly?)

Some of this may be helpful to you:

“On May 30, 1859, he purchased through his friend Jacob Bunn the type and other equipment of The Illinois Staats-Anzeiger, a German language newspaper recently established in Springfield.” Harry E. Pratt, The Personal Finances of Abraham Lincoln

"Lincoln becomes owner of German newspaper and draws contract with Theodore Canisius for its management. Recognizing that Illinois Staats-Anzeiger of Springfield is Lincoln's property, contract grants Canisius free use of paper for publication purposes on condition that paper supports Republican party. Contract with Theodore Canisius, [30?] May 1859, CW, 3:383." The Lincoln Log, http://www.thelincolnlog.org/Results.asp...xtRnpjSGc9

Here is a link to the contract from the Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln vol. 3: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/te...ncoln3:111

“Except for his private banker, his law partner, and but one fellow Illinois Republican politician, he seems to have told no one about the purchase at the time, or, indeed, for the rest of his life” Harold Holzer, Lincoln and the Power of the Press

In doing some research recently, I came across a letter from Lincoln to D.A. Cheever (from Pekin, IL, was involved with the Pekin Republican Central Committee) dated August 19, 1859. It closed with the following:
“By the way we have started a German Republican paper here, of which I send a copy. Please see if you can not get us a few subscribers. It is very important to us to sustain it.” Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln Supplement 1

Per the contract (see link above) if Theodore Canisius upheld the terms the print, type, etc. was to be turned over to him after the Presidential election (as long as it was not used against the Republican Party or removed from Springfield without Lincoln's consent). Apparently Cansisius upheld his end and the the property became his. I think that Canisius was also later granted a political appointment by Lincoln. I read both of the above, but not sure where so I don't have a reference.
UPDATE: Lincoln appointed Canisius consul to Denmark. Bearden-White, Christina. Illinois Germans and the Coming of the Civil War: Reshaping Ethnic Identity. Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society Vol. 109, No. 3 (Fall 2016), pp. 231-251

There is not a lot of information out there about the newspaper and there has not yet been any copy of the paper found.

Angela of this forum is a native of Germany and has done research on the newspaper. I think she would be another good resource for what little information their is related to the The Illinois Staats-Anzeiger.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln - STS Lincolnite - 02-19-2020 09:10 AM