Corwin Amendment
01-30-2020, 08:00 PM
RE: Corwin Amendment
Thanks for sharing the Simpson article, Rob. I have to disagree with Simpson that Lincoln's mention of the amendment in his first inaugural, saying that he had "no objection" to it, isn't an endorsement, at least as a compromise measure with the already secceeded states returning to the union and preventing a war. If Lincoln didn't want to show at least some support, he wouldn't have mentioned it at all in his speech.

Simpson does have a point of how Lincoln haters seem to use the amendment as some sort of moral argument against the man. Just read some of the crazy comments to Simpson's article. I agree with Simpson that the transmittal letter of the amendment has nothing to do either way in regards to Lincoln's support. And of course, just because he showed some support of it as a compromise measure after it was already passed by Congress doesn't mean that he pressed Seward to pass it.

From what I can check in the Lincoln Collected works there's nothing in it where he explicitly mentions it. Here are the three most relevant letters that I could find:

To Duff Green, a representative from the Buchanan administration:

Gen. Duff Green. Springfield, Ill. Dec 28th 1860.

My dear Sir--- I do not desire any amendment of the Constitution. Recognizing, however, that questions of such amendment rightfully belong to the American People, I should not feel justified, nor inclined, to withhold from them, if I could, a fair opportunity of expressing their will thereon, through either of the modes prescribed in the instrument.

In addition I declare that the maintainance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each state to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of powers on which the perfection, and endurance of our political fabric depends ---and I denounce the lawless invasion, by armed force, of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter under what pretext, as the gravest of crimes.

I am greatly averse to writing anything for the public at this time; and I consent to the publication of this, only upon the condition that six of the twelve United States Senators for the States of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, and Texas shall sign their names to what is written on this sheet below my name, and allow the whole to be published together.

Yours truly

A. LINCOLN.

And to Lyman Trumball:

Confidential
Hon. Lyman Trumbull Springfield, Ills.
My dear Sir. Dec. 21, 1860
Thurlow Weed was with me nearly all day yesterday, & left at night with three short resolutions which I drew up, and which, or the substance of which, I think would do much good, if introduced, and unanamously supported by our friends. They do not touch the territorial question. Mr. Weed goes to Washington with them; and says he will, first of all, confer with you and Mr. Hamlin. I think it would be best for Mr. Seward to introduce them, & Mr. Weed will let him know that I think so. Show this to Mr. Hamlin; but beyond him, do not let my name be known in the matter.
Yours as ever
A. LINCOLN

And to Andrew Curtain:

Confidential
Hon. A. G. Curtin Springfield, Ills.
My dear Sir Dec. 21. 1860
Yours of the 14th. was only received last night. I am much obliged by your kindness in asking my views in advance of preparing your inaugeral. I think of nothing proper for me to suggest except a word about this secession and disunion movement. On that subject, I think you would do well to express, without passion, threat, or appearance of boasting, but nevertheless, with firmness, the purpose of yourself, and your state to maintain the Union at all hazzards. Also, if you can, procure the Legislature to pass resolutions to that effect. As [I] shall be very glad to see your friend, the Attorney General, that is to be; but I think he need scarcely make a trip merely to confer with me on the subject you mention.
Yours very truly A. LINCOLN
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Corwin Amendment - Steve - 01-27-2020, 08:51 PM
RE: Corwin Amendment - RJNorton - 01-28-2020, 11:04 AM
RE: Corwin Amendment - Rob Wick - 01-29-2020, 06:23 PM
RE: Corwin Amendment - Steve - 01-30-2020 08:00 PM
RE: Corwin Amendment - David Lockmiller - 01-31-2020, 01:54 PM
RE: Corwin Amendment - Rob Wick - 01-30-2020, 08:13 PM