Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated???
01-11-2020, 01:35 PM
RE: Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated???
(01-11-2020 01:20 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(01-11-2020 12:02 PM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  She certainly was astute for some things, although not, in that case. Her husband is cheered and well received, but she finds something to complain for? It shows a weakness in her character there, she seems to be willing to control her husband's way of making speech. But let's take it humanly, Mary was what we call a "political junkie" in an era where ladies were supposed to stay in the limits of what was expected for a woman, being a good wife, a fine hostess and care of the household duties. She was a true convention breaker in that sense.

The following is a story of another "true convention breaker in that sense" at the time Lincoln had been elected President of the United States. She also lived in Springfield at the time. The story appeared in Harper's New Monthly Magazine - Volume 40 - Page 318 - 1870:

There lived in Springfield an Irish day-laborer John McCarty, an intense Democrat. Some time after the Presidential election, Mr. Lincoln was walking along the public square, and John was shoveling out the gutter. As the President-elect approached, McCarty rested on his shovel. and holding out his hand, said bluntly:

"An' so yer elected President, are ye? Faith, and it wasn't by my vote at all!

"Well, yes, John," replied Mr. Lincoln, shaking hands cordially; "the papers say I am elected, but it seems odd I should be when you opposed me."

"Well, Mr. Lincoln," said John, dropping his voice lest some brother Democrat should hear the confession, "I'm glad you got it, after all. It's mighty little peace I've had wid Biddy for vothin' forninst ye; an' if ye'd bin bate she'd ha' driv me from the shanty, as shure's the worrold."

Give my compliments to Biddy, John, and tell her I'll think seriously of woman's suffrage," said Mr. Lincoln with a smile, as he passed on to his office.

Thank you David for this nice story!
So it would be the second time Lincoln would have spoken about extending suffrage to women!! The first was when he was in the Congress, when he offered a bill proposing suffrage to all white population who paid taxes, including women. Yes, conventional breaking all the way!
And look how Abraham Lincoln acted with his children. At the time a father was supposed to harbor discipline and emotion distance. Lincoln was almost a modern day father in his parenting style. Springfield people may have gossiped around, but it didn't stopped him for playing with his kids, even at times helping Mary at home.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated??? - Mylye2222 - 01-11-2020 01:35 PM