Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated???
01-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated???
I read excerpts of Burlingame's books. Apparently he followed first insinuations first spreaded by Herndon.
Don't you believe it might be overstated?

For me, if any of domestic abuse (apparently a few times physical and more on the emotional level) from Mary towards Abraham, it might well have to be attached with her vulnerable mental condition (angst, depression..)
Because true, plainly willing-to-hurt abusive husbands/wives do it behind closed doors. They hide their violence in public and play the "perfect couple" cards among friends, family, and colleagues. It's always the same scheme with willing abusers who want to dominate and destroy. If as alleged, Mary did really striked Abe with objects in the presence of guests and such, I'll bet more to put the blame on her mental state than portraying her as the "evil in dress" she's been so much called on too. That said, we'll never know what happened, and I'm not an apologist of any domestic violence. But in her case, there's some ground of "minoring circumstances". Anyway, it ever happened, it's certainly it would have been a source of emotional pain for everyone.
Yes adding to Herndon there were statements from the Springfield neighborhood. But again, those people recalled "hysteria episodes" from Mary. So I do believe, even at the time, where psychology was basically an unexplored world, people felt it was "special case".
How do you feel about it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Are those stories about Mary abusive to Abraham overstated??? - Mylye2222 - 01-05-2020 06:09 PM