Nationals Win The World Series!!!
11-01-2019, 10:21 AM
RE: Nationals Win The World Series!!!
I also stayed up and watch all the games to conclusion except one. A huge win for the city and area. Congratulations Nats!

I grew up in the MD suburbs of Takoma Park in the 1950s and 1960s. I recall my Dad, a Yankees fan, taking my twin brother and I to Senators games at old Griffith Stadium. I don't recall much of the games but I do recall running the bases after the game. I have an old photo circa 1955 with my brother and I in baseball uniforms with a bat and an old flat glove without the fingers laced together. Later, I attended Senators games, sitting in the bleachers, in DC stadium watching Mickey Mantle hit home runs and Ted Williams manage. I collected baseball cards and paid for them by collecting discarded $.02 deposit soda bottles. I recall paying about $.10 for a pack of 5 cards and a thin, flat, pink piece of bubble gum slightly smaller than the card itself. Oh, to have those back! The less desired cards were used in the spokes of one's bike to create an engine sound. Finally, with deference to General Washington, I still remember the annual manta, "Washington, first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League!" Happily, that is no more.

I no longer live in the area, but still follow the club very closely and hope to take in a game next summer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nationals Win The World Series!!! - Dennis Urban - 11-01-2019 10:21 AM