Nationals Win The World Series!!!
10-31-2019, 08:15 PM
RE: Nationals Win The World Series!!!
Thomas - I stayed up until 2 am also and got the old bones up at 7 am to make it to work. The whole city is a buzz, and it looked so good to see thousands of folks out and about in the area around Nats Park -- an area that was a slum not too long ago. It rained all night on about 15,000 fans who sat in the open stadium to watch the game on those huge screens. We had visitors at the museum today from out-of-state, and they caught the fever also.

My daughter and I have been communicating this evening while ordering some expensive souvenirs of the win online as Christmas gifts for my grandson. My one regret is that our old Huntt house used to have an autograph from Walter Johnson of the old Senators when the Washington team participated in the World Series in the 1920s. It probably burned five years ago when vandals set the house on fire.

For you youngsters, Walter was the Strasburg of his day. My uncle was born in 1902, so by the 1920s, he was a die-hard Washington baseball fan. He took over our family's country store, and when I was a child in the 1940s and 50s, the men of the area (black, white, purple, and green) would gather around the old pot-bellied stove at the store to talk baseball, chew tobacco, and then eat their lunch of either sardines or Vienna sausages that they bought from my uncle. Those were the good times.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nationals Win The World Series!!! - L Verge - 10-31-2019 08:15 PM