Judging historical people on today's social standards. . .
10-10-2019, 08:23 PM
RE: Judging historical people on today's social standards. . .
(10-10-2019 06:36 PM)ELCore Wrote:  Over the summer, I re-read Alas, Babylon, a classic of "apocalyptic" or "post-apocalyptic" fiction. I had read it at least once or twice back in the 1970s, but hadn't read it since. I enjoyed it this time as much as I had in my earlier readings.

I posted a review on goodreads.com, noticing that people fault the book for reflecting the mores of that time and place. (It was published in 1958, and set in contemporary Florida.) Among those mores are different roles for men and women, and somewhat circumspect relations between the races. I concluded my review this way:

Quote:P.S. Some "reviewers" seem to think a book written about a certain place and time should not reflect the mores of the people of that place and time. I don't have an adequate vocabulary to describe how stupid such an attitude is.

Great review comment. Unfortunately, it shows the lack of understanding what makes up the composition of good history was present 60 years ago also. Makes me worry about the situation in 2050.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Judging historical people on today's social standards. . . - L Verge - 10-10-2019 08:23 PM