The incivility of our times is not new-or is it?
09-11-2019, 08:56 PM
RE: The incivility of our times is not new-or is it?
(09-11-2019 05:03 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  “… I find by sad Experience how the Towns and Streets are filled with lewd wicked Children, and many Children as they have played about the Streets have been heard to curse and swear and call one another Nick-names, and it would grieve ones Heart to hear what bawdy and filthy Communications proceeds from the Mouths of such…”

A Little Book for Children and Youth – Being Good Counsel and Instructions for Your Children, Earnestly Exhorting Them to Resist the Temptation of the Devil, by Robert Russel, 1695.

And even 400 years ago, where did these little "darlings" learn their bad language and behavior? Yep, from adults -- and many of them the parents.

While teaching, I had a number of parents who would bemoan the fact that their children were not turning out so well and then ask my advice. All I could say is what many teachers say, "I only have them for 45 minutes each day, and the school only has them for six hours. That leaves eighteen hours where they are your responsibility."

In our world, I wonder how many parents even see their children for ten hours each day - let alone 18.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The incivility of our times is not new-or is it? - L Verge - 09-11-2019 08:56 PM