Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
08-14-2014, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 11:42 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different."
William Seward himself made the most fascinating comment of all about Lewis. I can't remember it in detail, but it was something about when you are living in revolutionary times you have to expect assassination as part of the package. This guy was disfigured for life, almost lost his son and did lose his wife six weeks later as a result of Powell's actions but he seemed almost, if not understanding about it, he accepted it and bore no ill will. It just struck me, and stayed with me after I read it.

The exact comment in full was posted here on this Forum by Linda Anderson, but I don't remember which thread.

BettyO,

After reading your remarks it's the very first time I've ever allowed myself to believe that Mrs. Surratt might not have been as innocent as I've always believed she was. In fact when I first joined the Forum I made a very passionate and rather illogical defense of her, based mostly on her devout Catholic faith.

But now you have planted a seed of doubt....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell: The conspirator who was "different." - LincolnToddFan - 08-14-2014 11:35 PM