The Thomas Lincoln farm
03-15-2019, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 07:14 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm
Thanks very much, Rob. And everyone.
Fascinating to see and read. It was obviously a tough and hand-to-mouth existence. I've always accepted the simple, and true, idea that Lincoln was born in a log cabin. But that implies that there was nothing else. Obviously the 'what else' that there was did not consist of much. But you've managed to visualize for me a picture of the living conditions. They were much like the vast bulk of of the others living in farmland US, I guess.

Having said that, it still boggles the mind that someone could raise themselves up and educate themself to the extent that Lincoln did. Not only that, but to be able to build networks, lead & manage and strategise, and inspire other people to place their trust in him the way that Lincoln did ... incredible.

I've been on leadership, speech-giving, networking, and management courses and read the usual 'self-help' books. Some of them quite good. But it makes you wonder what Lincoln would have been like if he'd been sent on a Management Course!

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Thomas Lincoln farm - AussieMick - 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - Gene C - 03-14-2019, 08:40 PM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - AussieMick - 03-15-2019, 01:21 AM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - RJNorton - 03-15-2019, 05:42 AM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - L Verge - 03-15-2019, 09:49 AM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - Rob Wick - 03-15-2019, 12:55 PM
RE: The Thomas Lincoln farm - AussieMick - 03-15-2019 07:07 PM