The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
01-21-2019, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 02:00 PM by L Verge.)
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
While I believe that Weichmann's memoirs are a very important source for studying the Lincoln assassination, I still keep in mind that it is very much a self-vindication of his role and a perfectly understandable example of self-preservation on two fronts. During the trial, he needed to protect his own safety, and after the trial, he had to go back out into the civilian and Catholic world and explain his actions regarding Mrs. Surratt (especially when the media and public opinion swung in favor of the lady after the gov't. shocked them by hanging her, which few who were against her thought would happen).

The fact that he never chose to publish his book is puzzling to me, unless he used his writing of it as a catharsis to "cleanse his soul," but did not want to stir up that old hornets' nest again by releasing it to the general public? I feel sympathy for Weichmann, but I'm not sure that I would have liked him.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt - L Verge - 01-21-2019 01:59 PM