The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
01-13-2019, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2019 10:33 PM by L Verge.)
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
Bill mentioned earlier an article from the Columbia Law Review. I had the pleasure of meeting with its author, Martin S. Lieberman, a professor at Georgetown Law, when he was doing research at our James O. Hall Research Center about two years ago. He and I did not see eye-to-eye on the legality/illegality of the 1865 Tribunal, but I had to back down because he is so well-versed.

If you have a semi-legal mind and about two hours to read and decipher his article on the jurisdiction of the 1865 Commission, go here: https://columbialawreview.org/content/th...ssination.

(01-13-2019 06:15 PM)mike86002000 Wrote:  
(01-13-2019 05:34 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  One 20th century case that I can think of is the Nuremberg Trials after WW2. The US was a major participant during those trials.

I also point out that the difficulty of finding jury members that are independent and unbiased becomes enormous during high profile cases.

"Milligan and Surratt were not residents of states that had succeeded." ( I think you mean "seceded" )
Why is that relevant ?
I did, of course mean "seceded", thanks. I was pointing out the similarity between the cases of Milligan and Surrat.

People on trial at Nuremberg were not U.S. citizens. I don't think that has anything to do with Milligan or Surratt.

Yes, it's difficult to find "twelve men, good and true".

Mike

The 20th-century case that I was referring to was the trial of the six German saboteurs during WWII. I believe that two of them claimed to be American citizens. They were all tried by military court, and I believe that four were hanged. There was also a case that someone brought to my attention years ago, but all I can remember is that the case had a Japanese or Korean name.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt - L Verge - 01-13-2019 10:22 PM