The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
01-13-2019, 08:17 PM
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
(01-13-2019 07:47 PM)mike86002000 Wrote:  You put it succinctly, thanks. It is indeed my opinion that "Milligan" should, and was intended to, apply to cases like Surratt's. I supported my argument by pointing out the similarities between the two cases.

As I understand Judge Boynton's argument, from the excerpt posted above, military jurisdiction was justified since Lincoln was Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces. Justified how? By law?

Mike

You understand my point, i.e., there is a distinction between what one assumes or believes and what is fact. To be able to differentiate between the two is essential in law and in history. I do not agree with, but totally respect your opinion on the application of Milligan to the case of Mrs. Surratt, et al. In my opinion, and as matter of law, Judge Boynton was right.

I do not have Boynton's ruling as a cut and paste document. Roger (or anyone else), do you have the full ruling in a form that you could post it without having to retype it (or is it already posted elsewhere on the Forum)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt - wpbinzel - 01-13-2019 08:17 PM