The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
01-11-2019, 01:17 PM
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt
Tibbett's (maybe "Tippett") last sentence is almost verbatim as to what my great-grandfather said he heard her declaring during visits to T.B. -- and he did not attend the trial. However, he was the postmaster at T.B. and perhaps both he and Tibbett (the mailman) heard her at the same time??

The mail coach stopped at each post office (Surrattsville and T.B. - and others) six times a week. So each man - Tibbett and Huntt - had ample opportunity to hear the lady express her thoughts on the war, Mr. Lincoln, the Confederacy, etc.

Mr. G. - Please don't expect this article to appear on either our website or in one of our monthly newsletters. Trust me, it would not pass peer review even if I asked a non-member of the Surratt Society to read it. Read especially Rob Wick's comments on the What is a Historian thread to learn why I say that. I would also suggest that you change the title of your piece: instead of "The Flimsy Case...," you might want to consider "The Flim-Flam Case... ."

You do continue to resort to smoke and mirrors in trying to present your opinions. The bio that you include on your site indicates a very reputable background in a number of fields that should indicate a much more professional method of researching and writing than what I am observing here. I don't pretend to be a professional writer, but I certainly have been and continue to be friends with many who have mentored me over the past 40-50 years. Good facts, clarity, and style go a long way in making one's point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flimsy Case Against Mary Surratt - L Verge - 01-11-2019 01:17 PM