Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
11-23-2018, 08:56 AM
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
Mike, I said it was my opinion that Spangler was innocent. In my mind, I do leave open the possibility that my opinion is wrong, and that indeed Spangler was an accomplice. IMO, it's not like there are zero suspicions regarding Spangler. Ritterspaugh's testimony is not the only thing.

This is from p. 141 of Tom's book: John Selecman, who was an assistant of James Maddox, approached James Ferguson on Monday, April 17th, and quietly told Ferguson that he was in the alley Friday night when Booth rode up. He overheard Booth call for Spangler, and Booth told Spangler, "Now, Ned, you will give me all the assistance you can." Spangler responded, "Yes, I will, you can depend on that."

Thomas Gourlay reported his brother saw Booth and Spangler having a drink together between Acts 1 and 2 of "Our American Cousin."

If Selecman were telling the truth did this mean Spangler was agreeing to either holding Booth's horse himself or making sure someone else would hold it? Or could this be interpreted as Spangler indicating to Booth that he (Booth) could depend on "backstage help?"

According to Withers' statements (many years later I believe) the "backstage help" was for Spangler to turn off the theater's gas lights after the shot to facilitate Booth's escape from the theater. Withers claimed he "had valiantly fought the stagehand (Spangler) off and prevented this from happening." (p. 125 of Tom's book.)

Jerry M. also mentions this possibility in his book. On p. 134 Jerry writes, "Some believe that at this point Spangler was supposed to cover Booth's escape by extinguishing the lights as Booth originally called for in the kidnapping plot."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty? - RJNorton - 11-23-2018 08:56 AM