Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
11-21-2018, 06:23 AM
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
Did Booth and Spangler have a drink together during the intermission after the first act of "Our American Cousin?"

I have often read that earlier in the day Booth invited several Ford's employees (including Spangler) to have a drink with him at Taltavul's.

But I came across a web page that includes a letter from Jeannie Gourlay's brother, Thomas (not to be confused with her father who was also named Thomas). Among other things, Thomas Gourlay writes:

"Now, to back up my suspicion of the above, will relate what was told to me by Brother Robert. After the first act, Robert and Williamson went out to get a drink. They went into the saloon adjoining the theatre and saw Booth and Spangler drinking brandy at the bar. Robert declared that Booth filled his tumbler to the brim and drank it down. I suppose Spangler did the same."

http://civilwar.gratzpa.org/2012/11/jean...never-was/

If I recall correctly I believe I have read that both Jeannie Gourlay and William Withers had suspicions about Spangler attempting to aid Booth backstage. I have learned not to trust Withers' recollections, but I do not think I have ever read that Booth and Spangler were drinking together between acts 1 and 2.

This comes from a 1906 recollection of Thomas Gourlay. He was not an eyewitness to the alleged Booth/Spangler drinking; rather he is reporting what his brother told him.

Has anyone ever read anything that might support Thomas' recollection? (If true, this does not really change my personal opinion of Spangler's innocence; I am just curious about whether Spangler and Booth were really drinking together between acts 1 and 2.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty? - RJNorton - 11-21-2018 06:23 AM