Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
11-20-2018, 12:26 PM
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty?
Mike, Steve, Gene, Roger, Laurie and Jerry:

Decapitating the Union contains an entire chapter on Spangler, titled Spangler Was Innocent. Obviously, I have no doubt of his innocence. The chapter concludes with this: "An innocent man spent four years in hell and had his life shortened because he was caught in an April 1865 whirlwind and because of vast carelessness. It matters." In the chapter, I quote in full the statement Spangler prepared and which was found by Dr. Mudd in his tool chest (fortunately for posterity). It is on pages 320 and 321 and it is worth reading. After the book was published, another statement he prepared came to my attention. I cannot lay my hands on it this minute. If anyone has a reference to this second statement, please send it to me (jcf@neohio.twcbc.com) and thank you.

As for the standard of proof in the trial by the Military Commission, Jerry, I am surprised to hear you say that the burden shifted to the defendant. I doubt that, but if you have an authority, please refer me to it. Again I quote from Decapitating: "The commission ...proceeded to adopt its Rules of Procedure...The Rules...followed civil law closely and there was therefore nothing inherently unfair about the Rules. The civil law did not differ from the military law anyway. Throughout the trial, both sides cited legal precedent from civil cases and civil law."

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edman (Ned) Spangler: Anyone Still Think He Was Guilty? - John Fazio - 11-20-2018 12:26 PM