Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War
11-08-2018, 11:25 AM
RE: Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War
(11-07-2018 03:22 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  That is a very interesting story, Steve. Thanks for posting. Often I would have discussions in my history class; I would read this article to the class and then ask, "Should Eugene's family have been granted the requested pension?" I think it would have led to an interesting discussion.

What I thought was so interesting about this story is all that sympathetic strangers (especially H.R. Parrott) did for this soldier who was dying, as disclosed in the letter written by H.R. Parrott, Agent for the Adams Express Company.

Accidental death of wounded Union soldier going home to vote in November, 1864:

Immediately sent for Physicians. Dr. Bennett one of our best Surgeons was shortly to his side also Surgeon Burnett who is Medical Inspector of 23d Army Corp’s happened to be home on a short furlough. They made an examination and was soon satisfied that he could not live but a short time. He had hardly a perceptible pulse and but slight movement of the bead. Brandy was given him but he did not revive in the least. Doctors thought that he must have been injured internally as the loss of his leg would not have so reduced him. He lay perfectly quiet apparently unconscious until he died. I heard him say once plainly “I am dying take me home”.

By permission of the Doctors we removed him on a mattress to the “Sterling House” in this City, a House whose doors are always wide open to take in any soldier in distress (and it is the only one we have I am sorry to say) balance are “Copperheads”. They gave us a good room and a good bed free of expense on which we laid him; he however lived but about 3/4 of an hour. He died as easily as if going to sleep -- not a movement of a muscle could be discerned. He died surrounded by quite a number of warm-hearted friends and everything was done for him that possibly could be to resuscitate him. He died about 1/4 after 12 A.M. A brother soldier and a Gentleman here volunteered to lay him out and remain with him until morning, which they did.

I bought the coffin and made some little expense I intended to have sent bill to you to collect of the friends but since receiving your letter stating that they are so poor, I will endeavor to collect here if possible.

H.R. Parrott
Agt. Adams Express Co
Br. Port. Ct.

Have written in such haste that you may find some trouble in reading it want of time forces me to do so.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Soldier dies while trying to vote during Civil War - David Lockmiller - 11-08-2018 11:25 AM