President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
10-16-2018, 07:59 AM
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
From a Lincoln Prize winner's book:

In late April, [1863] when Grant stopped making “side expeditions” and boldly threw his army across the Mississippi, he began a brilliant campaign leading to the capture of Vicksburg on Independence Day. Upon learning that the general had moved south of that citadel and that David D. Porter had successfully run his fleet of gunboats past the Vicksburg batteries, Lincoln exclaimed: “This is more important than anything which is occurring in Virginia!”287

When Grant reached the east bank of the river, below Vicksburg, he could have either moved toward that city or headed south to link up with Banks, whose goal was to take Port Hudson. Lincoln hoped he would choose the latter course, but he did not, despite Halleck’s urging. In May, as Grant daringly marched his army from triumph to triumph in Mississippi, Lincoln said: “I have had stronger influence brought against Grant, praying for his removal, since the battle of Pittsburg Landing, than for any other object, coming too from good men.” (A year earlier, when Grant was caught unprepared for the Confederate onslaught at Shiloh -- also known as Pittsburg Landing -- he was roundly criticized, even though the Rebels were eventually driven from the field.) But, Lincoln added, “now look at his campaign since May 1. Where is anything like it in the Old World that equals it? It stamps him as the greatest general of the age, if not of the world.” 288

[Thus, President Abraham Lincoln recognized Grant to be a “great general” long before President Trump made his statement in Lebanon, Ohio that Grant “is finally being recognized as a great general.”]

According to popular rumor, Lincoln asked critics of Grant’s alleged drunkenness what brand of whiskey the general used, so he could send some to his other generals. The president denied that he had made that witty riposte, speculating that it was probably ascribed to him “to give it currency.” In fact, he pointed out, it was based on King George III’s purported response to those who charged that General Wolfe was insane: “I wish he would bite some of my other generals then.”289 (This anecdote appears in Joe Miller’s Complete Jest Book, a favorite of Lincoln’s.) . . . .

On July 7, Gideon Welles rushed into the White House with a dispatch announcing the surrender of Vicksburg and “in his excess of enthusiasm” almost knocked Lincoln over. Hugging Welles tightly, the president exclaimed: “what can we do for the Secretary of the Navy for this glorious intelligence? He is always giving us good news. I cannot, in words, tell you my joy over this result. It is great, Mr. Welles, it is great!” 291

(Source: Abraham Lincoln: A Life, Vol. Two, page 517.)

And, on pages 518-519 of Professor Burlingame’s book, there is this modest communication from President Abraham Lincoln to General Grant:

“I do not remember that you and I ever met personally. I write this now as a grateful acknowledgment for the almost inestimable service you have done the country. I wish to say a word further. When you first reached the vicinity of Vicksburg, I thought you should do, what you finally did- --march the troops across the neck, run the batteries with the transports, and thus go below; and I never had any faith, except a general hope that you knew better than I, that the Yazoo Pass expedition, and the like, could succeed. When you got below, and took Port-Gibson, Grand Gulf, and vicinity, I thought you should go down the river and join Gen. Banks; and when you turned Northward East of the Big Black, I feared it was a mistake. I now wish to make the personal acknowledgment that you were right, and I was wrong.”296

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson - David Lockmiller - 10-16-2018 07:59 AM