Identification of Booth's body
12-17-2019, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2019 11:13 PM by Steve Whitlock.)
RE: Identification of Booth's body
(12-17-2019 09:01 PM)Steve Wrote:  
(12-13-2019 01:56 AM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  

Steve W.,
I actually did a bunch of research on Neff to help Laurie and Ed Steers for a talk Ed was going to give back in May at the Surratt House conference about Neff and his theories. I've been thinking about making a long post about it here about what I found. I was itching to reveal some of what I found out about Neff when Mr. Griffith was posting, but I didn't want to steal Ed's thunder before his talk. I'll probably make my Neff post in January when I have more time after the holidays.

Here's a link to the Find A Grave page for the Sarah Baysinger you mentioned above:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/1941...-baysinger

The surname Baysinger is common in that area of Indiana. The Samuel Baysinger couple you gave the information about just matched Neff's Samuel and Sarah Baysinger by chance. Neff's Baysingers seem to be just as fictional as the Potters. I'll send a copy of the 1977 Neff article you mentioned for Roger to post to the forum.
Steve,

I have quite a bit more myself and since Neff-Guttridge referred to a Samuel Baysinger in Parke and Clay Co., IN I followed up with the only Samuel Baysinger there. Neff-Guttridge seem to take some real people in areas of familiarity, such as Lewis Pence in Rockingham Co., VA where Ray Neff graduated from Bridgewater College, and build a story around them.

Perhaps he heard stories about the Pence family in Rockingham, and used the Lewis Pence there, even tho the story about Lewis helping JWB escape is false, inasmuch as JWB did not escape.

General Lew Wallace, Kate M. Scott, Judge Robert Burns Stewart were all real, used to give a hint of credibility for a hoax.

I've attached some newsclips, including the 1977 article, but a couple didn't save very well insofar as readability. I don't know why Ray Neff was mentioned as Dr. Richard Neff a couple of times. Also, I have a 1961 articles for Neff finding a coded Luther Baker message. And there are articles for Neff being involved as a consultant for a movie "The Lincoln Conspiracy".

You may already have the last attachment for "Trumpets of Jerico" sales. That must be something written by Neff Guttridge, rather than the claimed Andrew G. Potter and Edwin F. Stokes. There is mention of Edwin Stokes being a cousin of Wallace Stokes; however, even tho possible I should point out that Edwin F. Stokes is black or mulatto in census records and Wallace Stokes is white. A quick check doesn't show a common ancestor, but it is possible Edwin and Wallace are cousins. Andrew G. Potter on the other hand must be a pseudonym. Somehow it seems like fraud to me.

Steve W.

(12-17-2019 10:54 PM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  

Steve W.,
I actually did a bunch of research on Neff to help Laurie and Ed Steers for a talk Ed was going to give back in May at the Surratt House conference about Neff and his theories. I've been thinking about making a long post about it here about what I found. I was itching to reveal some of what I found out about Neff when Mr. Griffith was posting, but I didn't want to steal Ed's thunder before his talk. I'll probably make my Neff post in January when I have more time after the holidays.

Here's a link to the Find A Grave page for the Sarah Baysinger you mentioned above:

The surname Baysinger is common in that area of Indiana. The Samuel Baysinger couple you gave the information about just matched Neff's Samuel and Sarah Baysinger by chance. Neff's Baysingers seem to be just as fictional as the Potters. I'll send a copy of the 1977 Neff article you mentioned for Roger to post to the forum.
Steve,

I have quite a bit more myself and since Neff-Guttridge referred to a Samuel Baysinger in Parke and Clay Co., IN I followed up with the only Samuel Baysinger there. Neff-Guttridge seem to take some real people in areas of familiarity, such as Lewis Pence in Rockingham Co., VA where Ray Neff graduated from Bridgewater College, and build a story around them.

Perhaps he heard stories about the Pence family in Rockingham, and used the Lewis Pence there, even tho the story about Lewis helping JWB escape is false, inasmuch as JWB did not escape.

General Lew Wallace, Kate M. Scott, Judge Robert Burns Stewart were all real, used to give a hint of credibility for a hoax.

I've attached some newsclips, including the 1977 article, but a couple didn't save very well insofar as readability. I don't know why Ray Neff was mentioned as Dr. Richard Neff a couple of times. Also, I have a 1961 articles for Neff finding a coded Luther Baker message. And there are articles for Neff being involved as a consultant for a movie "The Lincoln Conspiracy".

You may already have the last attachment for "Trumpets of Jerico" sales. That must be something written by Neff Guttridge, rather than the claimed Andrew G. Potter and Edwin F. Stokes. There is mention of Edwin Stokes being a cousin of Wallace Stokes; however, even tho possible I should point out that Edwin F. Stokes is black or mulatto in census records and Wallace Stokes is white. A quick check doesn't show a common ancestor, but it is possible Edwin and Wallace are cousins. Andrew G. Potter on the other hand must be a pseudonym. Somehow it seems like fraud to me.

Steve W.

Oops, that was Lafayette Baker, not Luther Baker! I don't know why I can't catch that on a last proofread, only on a read after sent.

Steve W.

Steve W.,

Steve,

Steve W.

Steve W.,

Steve,

Steve W.

Oops, that was Lafayette Baker, not Luther Baker! I don't know why I can't catch that on a last proofread, only on a read after sent.

Steve W.

I found my other 2 1977 news clips.

Steve W.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Identification of Booth's body - SSlater - 09-21-2018, 09:28 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 12-30-2018, 05:19 AM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 10-19-2018, 02:59 AM