Identification of Booth's body
12-12-2018, 06:48 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body
Quote:Booth had already had one close call with federal troops and had had to delay crossing the river because he was warned that federal forces were nearby. So it seems unimaginable, incomprehensible that he would have hung around the Garrett farm for so long. For that matter, as Dr. Arnold points out, it is hard to fathom why he would have gone there in the first place instead of continuing to head toward safer territory.

Unless you accept the more plausible theory that Booth needed to rest after the 12-day ordeal he had just been through, and once he found safe haven with someone who didn't know what he had done, he let his guard down.

Quote:the behavior of "James W. Boyd," as the Garretts knew him, at the Garrett farm fits much better with the theory that Boyd really was Boyd. One can totally understand why Boyd would have felt free to hang around for days with the Garretts and would have been in the mood to socialize.

One can understand if they turn reason on its head and throw logic out the window. The lengths to which you'll go to make this all fit is so contorted as to defy belief.

Quote:What about when Boyd hurried into the woods when warned that federal cavalry were coming, assuming this event actually occurred?

And what proof do you have that it didn't? Why would the Garrett's have locked Booth and Herold in the barn? They were concerned about losing their horses because of the reaction of Booth upon hearing the news. Otherwise, locking them in the barn makes no sense.

Quote:If Boyd was wearing a Confederate uniform, as some accounts state, then it makes perfect sense that to be on the safe side he would have sought to get out of sight.

"If" seems to be one of your favorite words. What accounts? No one at the Garrett farm ever said that Booth was wearing a uniform. Why run into the woods? Why not just walk into the house or to the other side? The house was set back from the road, so seeing someone clearly was not a given. None of the Garrett Farm Patrol even noticed the house on their way past. Indeed, Conger forced Jett to take them back to the house as a guide.

As for your fascination with freckles and the state of Booth's corpse, all I can say is if that's your ace in the hole as to why Arnold's theory is anything but nonsense, you need to do better. I'll put my research and that of Steve Miller and Dave Taylor above anything you've provided.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Identification of Booth's body - SSlater - 09-21-2018, 09:28 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 12-30-2018, 05:19 AM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 10-19-2018, 02:59 AM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 10-27-2018, 12:38 AM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 11-09-2018, 09:02 PM
RE: Identification of Booth's body - Steve - 11-10-2018, 04:35 PM