My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
01-15-2019, 04:47 PM
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(01-14-2019 08:29 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 12:36 PM)mikegriffith1 Wrote:  Someone said that Corbett did not disobey orders when he fired at Booth. But Conger certainly believed Corbett had disobeyed orders. He put him under arrest and hauled him before Stanton. But, oddly enough, rather than being furious at losing the chance to interrogate Booth and put him on trial, Stanton brushed aside Corbett's alleged action with the comment that the rebel was dead and so the "patriot" should go free.

As a 21-year Army veteran, I was very surprised and intrigued to learn that when Conger, Baker, and Doherty supposedly tried to determine who had shot the man in the barn, they didn't conduct the long-recognized and effective procedure of checking the chambers and barrels of the soldiers' weapons; instead, they merely asked each man if he had fired the shot. When they asked Corbett, he said he'd fired the shot, yet, amazingly, they didn't confirm this by checking the chamber and barrel of his weapon.

I can tell you right now that Conger, Baker, and Doherty's failure to conduct this quick, standard, and effective procedure raises a big red flag for me and indicates that they were not really trying to find out who had fired the shot.

I suspect that if they had checked the chambers and barrels of the soldiers' weapons, they would have discovered what Conger probably already knew, namely, that none of the soldiers fired the shot. This would have proven either that some outsider snuck up within sniper range and shot the man in the barn or that Conger, Baker, or Doherty fired the shot.

Once again, cite your source(s) please. BTW: One of the first things I learned after being introduced to the real experts in the Lincoln assassination field was that there were no orders to take Booth alive. A friend in the law enforcement field later described that that is a ridiculous order in any case because the officers or troops conducting the manhunt are placed in harm's way because they will fail to return fire and then become a target themselves.

Exactly. That's why there were no orders to take Osama Bin Laden alive.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - Warren - 01-15-2019 04:47 PM