My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
11-30-2018, 03:29 PM
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(11-29-2018 06:58 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Roger, I'm writing this with the understanding that it's been well over 20 years since I did any deep research into Eisenschiml via his papers in the ALPLM in Springfield.

One final note on the man that my Civil War history professor termed "Crazy Otto." For good or ill, and I stand firmly in the "for ill" camp, Eisenschiml played a major role in the study of Lincoln's assassination. If you look at the number of popular magazines and newspapers (and even some academic, peer-reviewed journals) that agreed to carry his work, his influence was felt far and wide throughout the country. One cannot discount Eisenschiml with just a wave of the hand. One certainly can discount his conclusions, or lack thereof, and see that he was a charlatan more interested in lining his wallet than in promoting good and valuable history. But one ignores him at their own peril. He is someone who deserves a biography although it must be built on the work of Bill Hanchett who once told me he couldn't stomach writing such a book. It angered him too much.

Rob,
Do you recall ever coming across any information on Eisenschiml's father's time in the U.S. while researching him a couple of decades ago? I ask because Otto claimed his father had been a Civil War veteran but that doesn't appear to be true as far as I can tell.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - Steve - 11-30-2018 03:29 PM