My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
11-29-2018, 08:37 PM
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
Interesting about the May 2, 1868, editorial about Stanton. That was the month and year that Stanton finally resigned after two contentious years of fighting with President Johnson.

It was also nice to see Tom Turner and his Beware the People book coming into the discussion. Tom's work should not be overlooked, and he was one of the first and very few professional historians to take up the study of the assassination and to work with us amateurs in ferreting out history way back in the 1970s.

After reading the pages from Beware that Rob posted here, it reminded me of a very enjoyable evening way back when Civil War Times Illustrated was dealing with these controversies. James O. Hall invited Joan Chaconas and me and our husbands to have dinner with him, William C. (Jack) Davis and then-editor of CWTI, Charles Cooney, at a very nice restaurant in Virginia which had a historical theme. I can only describe it as more history in several hours than I had had in several weeks in my Civil War class at college.

Likewise, the mention of Bill Hanchett brings back memories of his visit from California shortly after his book was published. Another great mind with much to share. Ah, the good old days...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - L Verge - 11-29-2018 08:37 PM